5 of the most memorable FA cup ties played at the Lane:
Tomorrow will see Spurs involved in their last ever FA cup tie at the world famous, White Hart Lane. This grand old stadium has seen some dramatic FA cup ties over the years, below is just a selection of some of those memorable matches that the Lane has hosted.
1. Spurs 13-2 Crewe Alexandra: When Bill Nicholson’s side drew 2-2 to fourth tier Crewe Alexandra in the fourth round of the FA cup, no one could have anticipated what would happen when the two sides met again in the replay at the Lane. Nicholson’s talented side thrashed Crewe an astonishing 13-2, the Lillywhites were 10-1 up at the interval. Their astonishing victory was the highest scoring FA cup match of the 20th century and the Lillywhites biggest victory in their history. The following is an account from a Crewe fan that was at the match: “As we were a footballing team, Spurs were the best team in the country at that time and did the double a year later. On that night they made the great Real Madrid side look second rate. They were unstoppable and it’s fair to say that my work colleague enjoyed it far better than I did.”
2. Spurs 6-0 Birmingham: The year was 1967, the season that Spurs would be crowned winners of the FA cup. En route to their final against rivals Chelsea, Spurs met Birmingham city in a quarter final replay at the Lane. Bill Nicholson’s side put on a phenomenal showing, defeating the blues 6-0, with goals from Alan Gilzean, Jimmy Greaves x2, Frank Saul and a brace from Terry Venables seeing Spurs storm into the semi-finals.
3. Not all of our FA cup ties at the Lane were memorable for the right reasons, a perfect example of this was Spurs fourth round exit at the hands of Man City in a replay in the 2003-04 season. Spurs were in cruise control and lead 3-0 at the break, with victory for David Pleat’s side seeming inevitable. However, Man City done the unthinkable and scored four goals in the second half to beat the Lillywhites 4-3, stunning the White Hart Lane faithful and shattering spurs’ FA cup dreams for another season. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GiUIi9UJpyk
4. Spurs 5-0 Sunderland: Bill Nicholson’s famous double winning side of 1960-61 season went through to the semifinals of the FA cup in scintillating fashion with their 5-0 thumping of Sunderland in a quarter final replay. Over 64,000 fans witnessed a a vintage Spurs display as goals from Les Allen, Terry Dyson x2, Dave Mackay and Bobby Smith saw Spurs march through to the semifinals, in what will surely be remembered as one of Spurs’s most memorable FA cup matches. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=euMldfb4L7k
5. Spurs 4-3 Wycombe: It’s quite fitting that the final match in my list is from this seasons current campaign, Pochettino’s team came from behind twice to get a dramatic 4-3 victory over league two side Wycombe Wanderers at the Lane. It was a game that had every thing, it contained passion and excitement, it was a good old fashioned FA cup tie and one that will live long on in the memory of Spurs supporters. Son’s late winner in stoppage time of the second half sent the Lane into a scene of sheer ecstasy, in a game where Wycombe deserved at least a replay. Here’s hoping tomorrows final cup match at the Lane against Millwall, will be just as memorable! COYS