Spurs under 21’s 1-1 Colchester United (Spurs won 6-5 on penalties): (match report)

Spurs under 21’s 1-1 Colchester United (Spurs won 6-5 on penalties): (match report)

Our development side took on league two club Colchester United on Tuesday night, in our second group game of this seasons Leasing.com trophy. Wayne Burnett’s side needed to win the game to stand any chance of progressing out of the group. Spurs put in a really positive performance at the Colchester Community stadium, it was a performance which showed great team spirit and resilience. Burnett’s young side played some good football during the first half however, they went behind on 44 minutes after Colchester opened the scoring. Spurs fought back during the second half and once again they played some nice, positive, attacking football. The young ‘ Lilywhites ‘ hard work was rewarded on 75 minutes when Tashan Oakley-Boothe drew Spurs level, after being set up by TJ Eyoma, as the game ended in a 1-1 draw. However, to determine who would get the extra bonus point the game would go to a penalty shoot out. And it was Spurs who came out of it victorious, coming out of it 6-5 winners to keep their chances of qualifying from the group still alive. Spurs lined up in their usual 4-2-3-1 formation as Jonathan De Bie started in goal. A back four consisting of TJ Eyoma, Malachi Walcott, Luis Binks and Tariq Hinds lined up in front of him. Captain Jamie Bowden and Harvey White anchored the midfield, as Armando Shashoua played in the hole behind striker Rodel Richards, while Tashan Oakley-Boothe and Shilow Tracey operated out on the flanks. Spurs got the game underway on a chilly evening in Essex. A good early move from Spurs saw Tariq Hinds cross the ball into the Colchester penalty area, where he managed to pick out Rodel Richards. After latching onto the ball Richards played a quick one two with Oakley-Boothe, before having a shot on goal blocked by Omar Sowunmi. After a steady start to the game league two Colchester launched their first meaningful attack of the night. After Jevani Brown burst down the right flank, he came inside onto his left foot before curling an effort over Jonathan De Bie’s crossbar. The lively Armando Shashoua then had a good pass to Shilow Tracey cut out by Omar Sowunmi before Kwame Poku had an effort on goal blocked by Luis Binks, before Tariq Hinds blocked Tom Lapslie’s effort. 

After Luis Binks conceded a free kick on the edge of the Spurs penalty area, Luke Norris curled over De Bie’s crossbar. Shortly afterwards Jamie Bowden passed the ball to Rodel Richards who entered the Colchester penalty area before dragging the ball across the face of Ethan Ross’ goal, but it was cleared behind for a a corner kick by Tom Lapslie. After Bowden gave the ball away to Colchester’s Tom Lapslie he fed In Luke Norris whose effort on goal deflected off of Tariq Hinds before going behind for a corner. Jonathan De Bie punched clear Lapslie’s resulting corner kick, before winning a foul. Spurs were knocking the ball around the park well. After Armando Shashoua played a nice pass through to Rodel Richards down the left side of the Colchester penalty area, Richards let fly, but his effort was saved rather painfully by the face of Ethan Ross who had come running out to meet Richards. After skipping away from Ryan Clampin, Tashan Oakley-Boothe whipped a low cross into the Colchester box by Tom Eastman. Harvey White’s resulting corner kick was controlled by Shilow Tracey inside the Colchester box, before being fired over by the Tottenham winger. Malachi Walcott was shown a yellow card by the referee for a challenge on Luke Norris, before Jevani Brown’s free kick was headed into the arms of Jonathan De Bie by Omar Sowunmi. Then in the 44th minute of the game the home side took the lead. Ryan Clampin’s cross into the Spurs penalty ares was met by Luke Norris at the back post. The Colchester forwards resulting header on goal beat De Bie before being cleared into his own goal by Malachi Walcott, on the line, 0-1. Harvey White blocked Brendan Sarpong-Wiredu’s shot on the edge of the Spurs box before the referee blew his whistle for halftime. Colchester got the second half underway. After receiving Kwame Poku’s pass, Brendan Sarpong-Wiredu whipped a dangerous ball across the face of Jonathan De Bie’s goal. Harvey White then fired a speculative effort over Ethan Ross’ crossbar from long range, before Tashan Oakley-Boothe had a cross cleared behind by Omar Sowunmi.

Luis Binks blocked Kwame Poku’s shot on goal before Poku passed the ball to Brendan Sarpong-Wiredu inside the Spurs box however, his cut back pass was cleared behind by Malachi Walcott who was in the right place at the right time. Jamie Bowden was replaced by Phoenix Patterson before Jonathan De Bie gathered a cross from Brendan Sarpong-Wiredu. Jevani Brown then fired an effort narrowly over the Spurs goal after he received the ball down the left flank. Tashan Oakley-Boothe then had a cross cleared behind by Tom Eastman before Spurs drew level. A nice move from the young Lilywhites ended in Armando Shashoua passing the ball to TJ Eyoma out on the right flank, the Spurs right back then slipped a pass into Tashan Oakley-Boothe who burst forward, into the Colchester box. Oakley-Boothe’s resulting low effort came off of Colchester goalkeeper Ethan Ross before nestling inside the bottom left hand come of the goal, 1-1.  Wayne Burnett punched the air in relief. Dilan Markanday came onto replace Shilow Tracey before the newly introduced winger whipped in a cross which came off the Colchester crossbar. After receiving Harvey White’s pass on the edge of the Colchester penalty area, Richards turned before shooting narrowly wide of goal. Jevani Brown passed the ball to Ryan Clampin inside the Spurs box but his effort on goal was blocked by Tariq Hinds. After Luke Norris passed the ball to Jevani Brown down the right flank the Colchester man came forward down the right flank before being met by Malachi Walcott who made a good sliding intervention. Kion Etete came onto replace Rodel Richards up top. Soon after coming on Etete received the ball inside the Colchester box after Armando Shashoua went on a tricky forward run. However, Etete’s low first time effort was saved by Ethan Ross. Phoenix Patterson then played a quick one two with Dilan Markanday on the edge of the Colchester box before having a low shot saved by Ethan Ross. 

Dilan Markanday cleared Jevani Brown’s long free kick inside the Spurs box before Colchester came desperately close to winning it late on in the game. After Ryan Clampin passed the ball to Jevani Brown inside Spurs box, Brown laid the ball off to Courtney Senior who passed to Tom Eastman who somehow shot wide of De Bie’s goal. The referee blew his whistle for full time shortly afterwards. The extra bonus point would be decided by a penalty shootout. Luis Binks of Spurs stood up to take the first penalty and the left footed defender calmly slotted the ball into the bottom right hand corner of the goal to put Spurs 1-0 up. Luke Norris then took Colchester’s penalty however, the physical centre forward blasted the ball against and over Jonathan De Bie’s crossbar. Harvey White then struck the bottom right hand post as Colchester had the chance to draw level in the shootout. And Jevani Brown fired the ball into the bottom right hand corner of De Bie’s goal, 1-1. Armando Shashoua then cleverly staggered his run to make it 2-1 to Spurs by slotting the ball into the bottom right hand corner of the goal, before Theo Robinson fired the ball into the roof of De Bie’s goal. Phoenix Patterson’s resulting effort hit the bottom right hand post before going wide. Ryan Jackson then scored to make it 2-3 despite De Bie getting a hand on the ball. TJ Eyoma then stepped up to slot the ball into the bottom right hand corner of the goal before Noah Chilvers effort was saved by De Bie who had gone the right way. Kion Etete then made it 4-3 after he tucked the ball into the left corner of the goal despite Ross getting a hand on the ball. Tom Eastman then fired the ball into the top right hand corner of the goal to make it 4-4 before Tariq Hinds slotted the ball into the bottom right hand corner of the goal. Ryan Jackson then fired the ball into the top right hand corner of De Bie’s goal with the Belgian getting a hand on the ball. Malachi Walcott then calmly stepped up to slot the ball into the bottom right hand corner of the goal, 6-5. And luckily for Spurs Brandon Comley then shot wide of the goal as Spurs managed to claim that vital bonus point which, leaves them still in with a chance of progressing out of the group. 

Player reviews: 

  • Jonathan De Bie: The Spurs goalkeeper made one save in total and he generally had a solid game. De Bie’s kicking and distribution was good and he remained vocal throughout. De Bie saved one penalty in the shootout.
  • TJ Eyoma: I thought that this was a mature performance from the 19 year old at right back. A position which he hasn’t played in for some time. Eyoma defended his side of the pitch well and he also got forward a lot down the right flank. Eyoma also set up Tashan Oakley-Boothe’s goal.
  • Malachi Walcott: It was a really solid showing at RCB from young Malachi Walcott who, imposed himself really well on the game by making some strong and well timed challenges. Walcott read the game very well along side Binks and he also took his penalty kick very well.
  • Luis Binks: My man of the match, see below.
  • Tariq Hinds: The 19 year old put in a solid performance for Spurs at left back where he made some important blocks and interceptions. Hinds kept good positioning throughout the game.
  • Harvey White: A calming figure in the middle of the park, LCM Harvey White moved the ball about well and he also did a good job at breaking up play and protecting the back four.
  • Jamie Bowden: The Spurs captain who has just been called up to the Republic of Ireland under 19 squad, had a good game for Spurs on Tuesday night. Bowden kept the ball moving, nicely in the middle of the park and he made some important defensive interventions. He imposed himself well on what was a very physical game of football. 
  • Tashan Oakley-Boothe: Oakley-Boothe had a good game out on the right flank where he went on some good surging runs. The 19 year old took his goal well and he showed good composure in front of goal.
  • Armando Shashoua: The lively attacking midfielder was always on the lookout for the ball, and he created some good chances for the forwards (he was involved in our goal). The hardworking Shashoua poached the ball well and he also went on some good, mazy forward runs. He also dispatched his penalty with real class. 
  • Shilow Tracey: Despite tracking back excellently, Tracey never really got into the game much from an attacking perspective.
  • Rodel Richards: The 19 year olds movement was good and he came close to finding the back of the net on a couple of occasions, during his time on the pitch.
  • Phoenix Patterson: The attacking midfielder brought some good energy to the game. Patterson’s passing was good and he got into some dangerous positions in the final third. 
  • Dilan Markanday: The 18 year old went on a couple of good runs down the left flank and he also struck the Colchester crossbar.
  • Kion Etete: The second half substitute came close to finding the back of the net soon after coming on. Furthermore, Etete dispatched his penalty well in the shootout.

My man of the match: Left sided centre half Luis Binks (18) put in a very mature and well disciplined performance for our under 21’s on Tuesday night. Binks, who was partnered by the similarly impressive Malachi Walcott, made some highly intelligent decisions throughout the game. The second year scholar made some excellent blocks, interceptions and clearances and he was also good in the air. However, it was Binks’ reading of the game and his anticipation of danger which impressed me the most. Him and Walcott neutralised the threat of Colchester’s speedy striker Luke Norris for large periods of yesterday’s game. The centre half tucked away his penalty well.

Colchester United: Ross, Chilvers, Clampin, Lapslie (c) (Comley 68), Eastman, Sowunmi, Poku (Robinson 79), Sarpong-Wiredu (Jackson 75), Norris, Brown, Senior. Substitutes (not used): Vose, Kensdale, Dunne, Stevenson.

Spurs: De Bie, Eyoma, Hinds, Bowden (c) (Patterson 67), Fagan-Walcott, Binks, Oakley-Boothe, White, Richards (Etete 89), Shashoua, Tracey (Markanday 75). Substitutes (not used): Oluwayemi, R Clarke, Lyons-Foster, Pochettino.

Goals: Colchester United – Norris 44; Spurs – Oakley-Boothe 75.

Yellow cards: Colchester United – Norris 52; Spurs – Fagan-Walcott 41.

Referee: Alan Young.

Venue: JobServe Community Stadium, Colchester.

Attendance: 1,061.

Spurs under 23’s statistics: 

Goals: Rodel Richards – 2

Troy Parrott – 2

Kazaiah Sterling – 2

Harvey White – 2

Tashan Oakley-Boothe – 2

Shilow Tracey – 1

Paris Maghoma – 1

Phoenix Patterson – 1

Armando Shashoua – 1

Dilan Markanday – 1

Assists: Shilow Tracey – 5

Tashan Oakley-Boothe – 2

Jamie Bowden – 1

Tariq Hinds – 1

Paris Maghoma – 1

Kazaiah Sterling – 1

Dilan Markanday – 1

Armando Shashoua -1

TJ Eyoma – 1

Clean sheets: Brandon Austin – 1

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s